Re: [atlarge-discuss] No quorum

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:36:10 -0500, you wrote:

>Unfortunately, this is a common occurance in this field. Folks
>can email back and forth about important and non-important stuff,
>yet most can't be bothered to make a decision or confirm a
>position by voting. I've never understood this. If you want to
>be a part of an organization, why not vote? Maybe we need a
>simple rule: Miss 1 vote, noted. Miss 2 votes? You're out. Gone.
>For at least a year. Gone as a voting member, yet you can
>participate as a 'talking' member.

Being one of the members who usually participates, I agree with a similar
approach, but we should have some caveats. For example, what if you are away
or traveling without Internet connection for one week in the year, and in
that week two votes are called? I would rather have some period of time -
for example, if you don't show up at panel votes for three weeks, then you
are out.

But even like this, I would allow proxies so that if someone knows that he
has to be offline for a month for a serious reason - let's say, a
significant health problem - he can use it. I think that destitution for non
participation should happen only in extreme cases. (Well, I also think that
someone who is elected to do a job should be responsible and either do it,
at least at a minimum level, or resign, but that's another story.)
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
--------> http://bertola.eu.org/ - Archivio FAQ e molto altro... <--------