Re: [atlarge-discuss] What is our Mission?

Richard,

I somehow missed your earlier posting, which is a useful articulation of one vision of what ICANNatlarge.org could be. I admire the ambition and ethical content of that vision.

However, I note that some existing organizations do seem to be attempting something like this already. See, for example:
ISOC: http://www.isoc.org/isoc/
CPSR: http://www.cpsr.org/cpsr/volunteers/mission.html
http://www.cpsr.org/onenet/onenet-draft01.html
APC: http://www.apc.org/english/about/index.shtml
(other organizations? In the US, www.EFF.org, www.ACLU.org, www.CDT.org)

I hold a different vision of ICANNatlarge.org. It fills a unique gap in user representation by providing a voice for the user in ICANN.

Today, there is no organization for the ICANN At Large membership. If ICANNatlarge.org stakes out this area as its mission (which is exactly what it has done, since its creation, as I understand it), then we make a unique contribution.

Hans