Micheal Sherrill

From: Joop Teernstra <terastra@terabytz.co.nz>
Date:  Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:53:34 +1300

At 06:07 a.m. 2/12/2002, you wrote:
>J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
>

> > Dear Walter,
> > Joop is one of the few doers among us.
> >
> > http://icann-at-large.org now includes a page for @large links.
> > The first link is to the current official site in disarray.
> > The second one is to the restored forum.
> > The third one to one to Joop's current site.
> > Joop could I directly give the forum he http://forum.atlarge.ws address?
> > You need to support that 3LD in your DNS and Apache confirguation file,
> > targeting to the icannatlarge.com/forum directory.
> >
> > As indicated yesterday, everyone with a link to a specific action please
> > profide a link
> > I would be glad to link:
> > - Joanna news site
> > - Jan's response to ICANN
> > - a page where Sotiris can report on ALAC
> > etc.
>I lack a website for which you could provide a link.  Consider me as the
>classic "user," for whom the Internet is primarily a source of information
>(in contradistinction to those who view it primarily as a potential or actual
>source of profit).  If you want a link, you will have to provide it yourself.
>
>That said, let me offer a brief "progress report" so that you and others
>might better judge the need for such a link.  I became aware of Stuart Lynn's
>  "A Plan of Action Regarding New gTLDs" through a posting on this mailing
>list by Sotiris (originated elsewhere by Thomas Roessler).  Later I mentioned
>my intent to respond to Lynn via public comment (the public comment period
>expires Dec. 8th and if I cannot meet that, I will not post a comment at
>all).  Subsequently I read Lynn's "Plan of Action" through and quickly
>realized it treated much of its content overly summarily, depending crucially
>on the earlier "Final Report of the New TLD Evaluation Process Planning Task
>Force [NTEPPTF]" published 31 July 2002.  I had not been previously aware of
>that earlier document, which had been through a draft, public comment, and
>revision process without my knowledge.  Therefore, I diverged from addressing
>Lynn's "Plan of Action" and have since taken the time to download (from the
>ICANN website) and read the "Final Report."  Although that document in turn
>references much other material, which I have not taken the time to access, I
>believe that I now understand the issues well enough to respond to Lynn (from
>a user's perspective).  My intent is to provide a comment via the ICANN web
>site, and to cross-post it here as well.  I will do so as an individual, not
>as a representative of icannatlarge.org (nor in my opinion can any one person
>lay claim to that distinction, just yet!).
>
>At this point I can draw a few tentative conclusions.  Even though the "Final
>Report" mentioned above had been through many hands and a revision process,
>it contained several annoying typos and inconsistencies, which would have
>been caught had *any one* of the Task Force members committed him/herself to
> [...]

How about the revived web forum, Jan?
I would very much like you to post your observations on the "Final Report"
there as well, for a much wider readership.
Or are you waiting for Vittorio to restore the Forum on icannatlarge.org?

I have great problems with this mailing list, even apart from all the
trolling.  It is not a "community" because it is not known who are lurking
on it.
ready to go, with it's "WHO" command enabled so that each member of the
list (but not a non-subscriber)  can see who the others are.
Just routing around the damage, like the Forum resuscitation, not a new
"organization".

The mailing list has value to be used in conjunction  with a web Forum,
where the stuff of more value and permanence gets stored and systematized.
One of the additional benefits of the web based forum is that it is also
trawled by the search engines.

-joop-