[atlarge-discuss] top down or bottom up?

Dear Richard and Norbert:

    Forgive me if I have misunderstood something, but the debate seems to be
over which of the two subject line approaches (top down or bottom up) is the
most likely to succeed.

    Surely, if the ICANN top-down ALOC / RALO method of providing end user
participation is successful, then it will embrace and include participation
by any organization that is suitably organized from the bottom up. That must
include the icann-at-large membership who are skeptical of abandoning their
separatist beliefs.

    If, on the other hand, the ICANN / ALOC / RALO method fails due to an
unwillingness to accept a bottom-up process, then the separatist
icann-at-large group should be in a position to simply move around ICANN or
to fill the void that they have left.

    The most likely scenario is that the two will merge eventually, and that
the ICANN that we know will become the ICANN that we want... simply BECAUSE
icann-at-large became a powerful bottom-up organization and was able to
carry the will of the end user.

    I believe that the wisest users will be those that participate in both
organizations and carefully judge their policies and receptiveness to user
input.

Ron