Re: [atlarge-discuss] To RALO or not to RALO

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 01:30:57 EST, you wrote:

>Richard writes:  << But the question: "To RALO or not to RALO" cannot be
>avoided. >>
>
>I disagree.  The question can readily be avoided.  Icannatlarge.org will
>never be part of the RALO process because it will never meet the anticipated
>certification requirements for a RALO "structure":
>
>1.  It is not regional organization
>2.  It is not even an organization -- no bylaws nor charter, no
>incorporation, etc.

Both these issues are still open. At the Amsterdam meetings many
people agreed that formal incorporation should not be necessary for a
group to participate in the RALO, and that there should be a way for
global orgs to join all the RALOs with their local members.

>Further, as per the preliminary recommendations of the ALAC-AG for acceptable
>at-large structures, you will note that icannatlarge is not:
>
>a.  self-sufficient
>b.  able to post current information about the organization's aims,
>structure, constituents, and working mechanisms
>c.  able to guarantee and demonstrate the real identities of its constituents

Also this last point is still open. It will likely depend on the
internal structure of each RALO. RALOs which will be mostly based on
individuals are likely to implement their own verification mechanisms
and thus to require lower guarantees by the underlying orgs -
basically, it could be enough to be able to supply a list of names and
e-mail addresses in electronic forms. OTOH, RALOs which will base
their structure on organizations (for example, by adopting indirect
representations, councils made by org reps rather than by elected
individuals, and voting processes weighed by each org's number of
members) will likely require stronger verification of each
organization's membership.
--
vb.                  [Vittorio Bertola - vb [at] bertola.eu.org]<---