[atlarge-discuss] Constituency

Dear Joop,

I'd like to thank you for your constructive effort to poll the membership of
icannatlarge.  Having reviewed the poll results, I note that the majority of
participants (51.8519%) have stated a preference for involvement as an ICANN
constituency (http://www.icannatlarge.com/results-morfin1.htm).

The ICANN bylaws state:

4. Any group of individuals or entities may petition the Board for
recognition as a new or separate Constituency. Any such petition shall
contain a detailed explanation of:

a. Why the addition of such a Constituency will improve the ability of the
GNSO to carry out its policy-development responsibilities; and
b. Why the proposed new Constituency would adequately represent, on a global
basis, the stakeholders it seeks to represent.

Any petition for the recognition of a new Constituency shall be posted for
public comment.

5. The Board may create new Constituencies in response to such a petition, or
on its own motion, if it determines that such action would serve the purposes
of ICANN. In the event the Board is considering acting on its own motion it
shall post a detailed explanation of why such action is necessary or
desirable, set a reasonable time for public comment, and not make a final
decision on whether to create such new Constituency until after reviewing all
comments received. Whenever the Board posts a petition or recommendation for
a new Constituency for public comment, it shall notify the GNSO Council and
shall consider any response to that notification prior to taking action.

My proposal is fairly straight-forward:  Let us petition the Board for
recognition as a new Constituency.  I am willing to devote time and energy to
a collaborative attempt to prepare such a petition (which I presume would be
accompanied by a Charter for such a constituency).  In my estimation, both
the Charter and the petition could be available for presentation to the Board
at the upcoming meeting if we throw ourselves wholeheartedly into this
endeavor.  Let me know your thoughts...

Best regards,
Danny