Re: [atlarge-discuss] URGENT - Guidance required re:membership list

At 07:09 -0800 2003/03/04, Jan Siren wrote:
>Judyth, you have done an admirable job of describing events to date.
>confirm, from my own experience, all that you have reported.  Nothing
>*I*
>have done with the list so far invalidates nor precludes any of the
>ballot
>options you presented.  Further, I pledge to abide by the outcome of
>your
>poll (even if the March 10th response date, which by the way provides
>an
>appropriate span of time, precludes Rio for example).

Thank you, Jan, for your support. I really didn't know what
else to do and demanding an answer in 2-3 days would have
been quite unreasonable.

>I should mention, for clarification, that the mailing list as you and
>I >have
>received it may be ideal for spamming, but is short of the mark for
>the
>tedious process of poll-watching, since it isn't alphabetized.  I
>mentioned
>previously to Vittorio that I was going ahead with alphabetizing the
>list >on my own (low tech skills are adequate!).

If it's a bother, let me know. I am unfortunately quite
experienced at turning awkward lists into usable databases
which can be transferred between applications or kept in
plain text.

If we did that at some point and then added new members'
records in the same form, the process would be less
cumbersome in future -- right down to assigning true random
membership numbers and using a script for outputting a list of
those and their associated e-mail addresses (without other
identifying information) for voter-list-checking purposes.

[Actually, if we decided to use that sort of system and
perhaps help the folks who need general anonymity to find
a secure Webmail address somewhere outside their own
countries, we might choose simply to call them by their
e-mail usernames rather than publish everyone's real names
as we do now. But I mostly agree with your comments on the
anonymity provisions and hope we can get some more ideas
on making a system which is both safe for all individuals
and safe for the organization.]

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the members here
really want, both concerning the immediate issue and on
the future shape of the organization-to-come.

Regards,

Judyth

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>