Re: [atlarge-discuss] Poll watcher rights and duties

Stephen Waters wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 23:27, Joop Teernstra wrote:

> > > used
> > >
> > >But it's web-based, right?
> >
> > No, this part is not.
> > The Polling officer feeds the addresses into the system and it spits out an
> > email message to each member, each with its own unique alphanumeric passcode.
> >
> > This passcode can then be used either for web based voting or for email
> > based voting.
> > The only problem/feature  is that the system does not generate a *list* of
> > passwords, as such lists would be an inherent security risk.
>
> That's sufficient for my concerns as long as Jan and Judyth are the ones
> looking after the election. Do you have the code available for download?

Before things get out of hand here.

I can't speak for Judyth.  But I haven't been approached by Jefsey, Bruce nor
Eric, individually or acting as a Panel, about "looking after the election."
One possible scenario is that they would approach me with *their*
requirements.  And I would respond with *my* requirements.  We would
negotiate; and we might, or might not, reach an agreement.

No money would change hands in such a transaction, so what would be
negotiated would be intangibles, such as my reputation if the election turned
out to be so poorly managed as to be botched.  A "hold-harmless" statement
would obviously have to be part of the agreement.

Some of the discussion I've seen to date seems to imply that an election
watcher has to be able to certify the Perl or C or DOS language code that
supports the voting, and be able to run it on whatever computer he happens to
own.  I'm not a programmer.  I don't trust programmers.  So let's get the
election watcher requirements aligned with reality.

I have already pointed out that I'm not qualified to be a poll-watcher under
Joop's rules; half jokingly, I suggested that I felt released from my
obligation not to be a candidate.  However, an assessment of my disposable
time, compared with my vision of what a Panelist *ought* to do, strongly
overshadows *that* idea.  But I do feel qualified to robustly question anyone
so audacious as to propose to be a candidate, or accept a nomination, with
regard not only to his/her sincerity, but also the level of commitment the
individual would bring to the job.

We've already had a round of Panelists who looked good on paper and look what
that got us.