Re: [atlarge-discuss] FYI: Anonymity, identity and authority

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 17:55, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

> With all due respect Stephen, but why don't you worry about your own
> backyard before you go worrying about someone else's?

I do.

>   Do you live in China? How do you know what it's like to live in
> China?

I don't, but I've been following the news since the Tiananmen Square
massacre. Some information about access in China:

http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue8_1/kalathil/kalathil_contents.html

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/filtering/china/
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/filtering/china/China-highlights.html
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/filtering/china/test/

(I tested icannatlarge.org, .com, and fitug.de and it appears they are
accessible behind the Great China Firewall, which is good)

>  Can't the Chinese speak for themselves?  In the final analysis, who
> are you to speak for them?

I'm not speaking for the Chinese. I'm interested in ensuring they can
speak at all to our organization, voting included, if it is at all
possible.

-s