Re: [atlarge-discuss] RE: [Atlarge] Re: @LARGE ELECTION: you response is urgent

At 05:40 p.m. 4/05/2003, bruce@barelyadequate.info wrote:
Joop Teernstra wrote:

|  Not allowing for seconding gives far too much power to the nominator.

Who said nomination needn't be seconded?
Your Polling Officer (and primary Nominator of a rather ridiculous (or Machiavellian) list of candidates), Jefsey Morfin said this.

(message dated May 2)
"2. the nominees do not need to be seconded (however all those we listed together are, what is good)"

I appreciate your original message and perhaps you can work this out with him, so that we end up with a proper slate of candidates.

The message that went out
requesting nominations clearly said otherwise, to wit:

3. Persons nominated by more than one person will be considered to be
seconded. Those nominated only once will be identified on the At Large
Discuss list, and readers of the Discuss list will be given the opportunity
to second their nomination.
*All* members should have that right. They do not have to accept un-seconded candidates. We need candidates that have a minimum of support.

That acceptances can be made to a private address and then published (or not) is also wrong when acceptances can and should be made publicly.

To answer Hugh's question: I hesitate because I am very reluctant to endorse such a procedure.

-joop-