Re: [atlarge-discuss] Membership Committee

I agree with Abel that clear rules need to be defined for the operation of
Committees. I personally take the view that (apart from provisional
organisation) the membership themselves should elect the Chair for each
Panel. There should then be a two-tier participation (a) appointed or
elected members who have full voting rights on the adoption of reports etc
(b) the whole membership, who may participate in discussions and be kept
informed.

You also need to define the Committees you actually want, to safeguard
against overlap.

A touch more strategic thinking is needed here, and - as Abel says - a real
start on definition/bylaws.

For your thoughts, you may find draft bylaws on Committees here:

http://www.icannatlarge.co.uk/draftbylawsarticle05.htm
http://www.icannatlarge.co.uk/draftbylawsarticle06.htm
http://www.icannatlarge.co.uk/draftbylawsarticle07.htm
http://www.icannatlarge.co.uk/draftbylawsarticle12.htm

The whole draft bylaws for a Membership/Poll - Centred organisation can be
found at

www.icannatlarge.co.uk  but does not reflect a British position - it's just
a draft built on Danny's iniative, which I've worked on this weekend (quite
a bit is different to the initial draft I sent, and there's more work to do)

On the subject of Committees, I suggest the Panel makes a priority of (a)
what committees (b) who to chair and how to decide (c) how to limit the
decision making and report writing to a chosen team, while allowing
participation from everyone.

Procedures for publishing agendas, topics, motions, drafts etc also need to
be established, so that people are kept fully informed in advance, and able
to contribute.

Richard Henderson