Re: [atlarge-discuss] POLLING COMMITTEE: Reporting Audited Results

Folks -

Jefsey writes me in private, I reply in kind. Jefsey then quotes what I
wrote to only him, out of context.

What follows is not new, rather what I sent him so my comments, for the
record, are kept "in context."

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, J-F C. (Jefsey)  Morfin wrote:

> At 21:58 03/06/03, Walter Schmidt wrote:
> >By stripping the name from the votes, giving them a "number," and not
> >maintaining a name=number table, you have a complex transaction.
>
> This is totally wrong.

Now as to my full comments:

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:58:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Walter Schmidt <walts@dorsai.org>
To: "J-F C. (Jefsey)  Morfin" <jefsey@club-internet.fr>
Cc: Walter Schmidt <walts@dorsai.org>
Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] POLLING COMMITTEE: Reporting Audited
Results

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, J-F C. (Jefsey)  Morfin wrote:

> You can tell it openly an other way: Because you had not access to the
> raw data Bruce, Erick and me have conspired to biase that vote.

Not at all - what you have done is create a "complex transaction."

A simple or non-complex transaction becomes complex due to the volume of
transactions (not our problem), or if individual transactions lose their
identity during/in the process cycle - that is, they cannot be
traced/followed at/through each step of the process.

By stripping the name from the votes, giving them a "number," and not
maintaining a name=number table, you have a complex transaction.

Certain controls over complex transactions need to be "active" before,
during and after the process - or, one does not "know" if the results of
the process are as they should be - they might be, the might not be.

> Why to use so complex wording for plain things.

Attestation work has its own terminology - precise - errors or
irregularities, accuracy and completion, just to mention two sets - plain
or not, the wording remains the same.

I guess we will agree to disagree - I believe you when say you know
everything about your system is working as you know it should - from what
I know, no attestation professional would be able to make positive, or as
we sometimes do non-negative statements about the process without, first,
seeing the addition of certain controls.

--

---  REgards, walts@dorsai.org  Walter C. Schmidt, IT CPA  Blue(^) ---
- -   Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center Edition - HPMC 873n  ---