[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Pentagon wants a "Big Brother" supercomputer, from NYT

Date sent:      	Tue, 12 Nov 2002 23:59:52 -0500
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: Pentagon wants a "Big Brother" supercomputer, from NYT
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

Previous Politech message:

"U.S. creates (another) surveillance office run by J. Poindexter"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-03153.html

---

From: "Danny Yavuzkurt" <ayavuzk@fas.harvard.edu>
To: <declan@well.com>
Subject: Pentagon desires 'Big Brother' supercomputer
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:12:05 -0500

Don't know if you've seen this article already, Declan (I assume you
have, it's a couple of days old), but everyone on Slashdot was talking
(http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/09/2242250) about this
article at the New York Times
(http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/09/politics/09COMP.html) that makes
CopNet look like an Atari 2600.  Who's involved?  Are you not
surprised to find out it's Vice Admiral John Poindexter, of
Iran-Contra infamy (he was Reagan's National Security Director, and
would've been convicted of felonies, if it hadn't been for Reagan's
protection..).  Now, combine that with, oh my god, he's the director
of the IAO (http://www.darpa.mil/iao/, have you ever seen a more
disturbing logo - or mission statement?).. and you can see why we're
worried.

According to the article, the IAO is responsible - no surprise - for
"developing new surveillance technologies in the wake of the Sept. 11
attacks," and the supercomputer idea is reportedly being mulled over
by Rumsfeld, who was seen having lunch with Poindexter.  It's all
hush-hush, the administration won't comment on it, and civil liberties
advocates aren't the only ones worried - hell, even the panel the
Pentagon hired to review it is having second thoughts.  Here's a
direct paragraph from the article: ----- "A lot of my colleagues are
uncomfortable about this and worry about the potential uses that this
technology might be put, if not by this administration then by a
future one," said Barbara Simon, a computer scientist who is past
president of the Association of Computing Machinery. "Once you've got
it in place you can't control it." -----

Looks like the people who know the technology, at least, have their
heads on straight about this.  Too bad the government pinheads and
Poindexters think technology can solve all our security problems - and
that we should go ahead and line up to be strip-searched of our rights
to 'prevent terrorism'.  So, data mining of all Americans' credit card
data, cross-referenced with traffic violations, Usenet posts, and
medical records, will suppsedly detect terrorists?  It doesn't take a
genius to see that this system will be far more useful for creating
'enemies lists' Nixon would have killed for, suppressing internal
dissent, harrassing law-abiding citizens, and, eventually, turning
this country into the police state the Pentagon - and, apparently, the
Bush administration - wants.

Danny

---