Re: [ICANN-EU] Don't waste your endorsement vote

From: Joop Teernstra <terastra@terabytz.co.nz>:
> I'll give it another 24 hours and then I'll decide.  Everybody can monitor
> the endorsements in Real time (http://members.icann.org/nom/cp/EU.html) to
> see if others on these lists are similarly convinced.

Better yet, use my page at http://www.icannnot.org/icannel.cgi?s=e&r=EU&l=e
or http://www.icannnot.org/icannel.cgi?s=e&r=EU&l=d (auf Deutsch).

In case ICANN's servers get overloaded the last few days and you are having
troubles logging in:

1. I've put a simple page up at http://www.icannnot.org/endorselogin.html
which opens a new window when you log in.  This makes it easy to retry if
ICANN's server fails to respond.  (I kept the page simple so it's easy to
look at the source code to verify that there's no attempt to gain your
passwords.  Feel free to copy, modify, or mirror the page.)

2.You can enter the your user ID, password, and PIN directly into the URL,
like so:
https://members.icann.org/cgi-bin/atlarge/endorse.cgi?login=1&mn=123456&pw=A
BCDEF&pin=PIN-xyz123

Just replace 123456 with your membership number, ABCDEF with your password,
and PIN-xyz123 with your PIN.  However, DO NOT use this method unless you
are using your own private computer, because your passwords will be stored
in the browser's history.

> The numbers are now Bourkov 415, Donnehaeke 743, Ms Hoffmann 927 and Andy
> MM 2218
> You stand at 9, so I can see that you are realistic.
> Yet, my endorsement will not be wasted if it is counted publicly, even if
> all it does is raise your backing from 9 to 90.
>
> What we now need to see is an orderly withdrawal of a large number of
> no-chance candidates , together with their opinion on who is the candidate
> -to-back.
>
> There are 4 days left for the process of re-allocating endorsements.

First off, if anyone is thinking about officially dropping out, it's
probably too late to have much of a positive effect.  ICANN has posted that
"If time allows, ICANN will send an email to the affected
members stating that their endorsed candidate has dropped out." (See
<http://members.icann.org/faq.htm#dropout>.)  We know how long it takes
ICANN to do anything.  (Plus, Monday is a holiday in the United States, so
there are less than 4 working ICANN days remaining.)  Dropping out now might
not give your endorsers time to choose someone else.  Does anyone have more
information about the time it takes ICANN to inform endorsers of their
candidate resigning?

Second, in Europe, since it is practically guaranteed that there will be 2
at-large nominated candidates, I agree that one might consider endorsing
members for the purpose of making a statement.  (Unless you prefer Lutz
Donnerhacke to Jeanette Hofmann, because there is a small chance that a late
surge could get Lutz the nomination.)

You might want to use your endorsement to bring the 4th place candidate
above 2%, to highlight the effect of the ICANN board's arbitrary limit of 7
total nominees.

Or, you might want to endorse another candidate (even a candidate that you
wouldn't prefer over one of the top 3), hoping that the new ICANN directors,
or other interested parties, will give advice from your candidate more
weight because of your endorsement.

You still might want to endorse one of the top 2 candidates, hoping that a
larger number of endorsements will translate into more votes in the
election.

In North America, the top 3 candidates are in strong positions, but not
nearly as strong as the top EU candidates.  If you are thinking about
changing your endorsement, you might want to wait until the last day or two,
just in case.

Andy