Re: [members-meeting] Re: [icann-eu] Summary

Karl,

>Don't forget that when one goes to indirect elections one foresakes the
>ability to take advantage of the laws of California (and many, many other
>jurisdictions) that give valuable and useful rights to the electors either
>with regard to election processes, inter-elector communications, access to
>corporate information, and rights to vote on various kinds of corporate
>actions.

I have severe ethical problems with the fact that the basic principles and
structure of a supposed "international organization" are modeled on the
specifics of a local law. What you bring as an argument is the strongest
argument that one could make in favour of an International (Treaty)
Organization to take over.

I realize that I am a minority in bringing up this argument, as I have been
in the past in seeing inconvenience in the fact that Chairman of the Board
and/or CEO of a supposedly international corporation based in the US were US
citizens. (incidentally, when I was active in CORE, I turned down a
nomination as Chairman because I did not feel comfortable with having a
supposedly geographically diverse organization be based in Europe and with
an European Chairman)

To be pragmatic, and accepting the will of the majority who sees this
short-sighted ancillary benefits as "incredibly valuable", may I ask you to
what extent do we risk to lose them in case of a mixed system (5 direct + 4
indirect). IANAL, but it seems to me that the moment you have even just 1
Director elected directly, you qualify for being a membership organization.

Regards
Roberto