Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: FC: ICANN attorney replies to Politech post on "self-regulation's end"

At 08:06 a.m. 15/06/2002 -0400, Ron Sherwood wrote:

>     It is my humble opinion that our organization is in very real need of a
>spokesperson representative who can carry our dialog to others in the manner
>in which all successful international diplomacy is conducted.

Agreed. Although some may say it is too late for that now.

>We do need
>leaders who have the technical knowledge, the vision and the mindset that
>defines our organization as being representative of the global user.  But,
>we also need leaders who are managers (to bring our organization to
>functionality), marketing experts (to grow the membership to be truly
>representative of users on a global scale), and diplomatic communicators (to
>present our case to ICANN, to government representatives, to other
>organizations and to the media. To allow our voice to be heard with
>respect).

That too.

Ron, in defence of Richard, who has been elected for the interim website
supervisory Panel of icannatlarge.com, let me stress that while we need
cool-headed and cool-spoken leaders, he cannot help to represent several
thousands of highly disillusioned and offended individuals, even if you
don't want to count yourself among them.

Mr Sims has not been very diplomatic to us either. (Black helicopter crowd,
global democracy-nuts, etc.)
How can we all have a reasoned exchange at that level?

All most of us 'nuts' wanted was to help create public accountability and
small stakeholder input for an ICANN that we were willing to support and
sacrifice time for.

--Joop
(diplomacy, been there, done that)