Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: FC: ICANN attorney replies to Politech post on "self-regulation's end"

Ron and all stakeholders or interested parties,

Ron Sherwood wrote:

> Dear Jeff:
>
>     Since you use the derogatory term "wimp" to define any member who does
> not approve of and use the aggressive demeanor that you promote. And, as you
> have determined that one who does not participate in your aggressive style
> must "have something to hide", there must be very many wimps and fugitives
> among us. Of course, since I do not respond positively and decline to use
> your uncivilized dialog, I have to be included in that number.

  I believe the first time the term "Wimp" was used in a public way was
by Douglas McGarther just before his an the US forces planned the
retaking of the southern pacific islands in one of his meetings with
than President Roosevelt.  If I recall, President Roosevelt also used
that term several times in that meeting as well.  Ergo, again I am finding
it a bit difficult to describe the term "Wimp" as derogatory and certainly
not a term used by "Civilized" people...

>     As for the percentage of "regular Joes" like me who are turned off by
> the whole bully-boy attitude and who would rather tune out or disconnect
> than participate in such disrespectful behavior,  I suspect that it is
> larger than you think.

  Perhaps so.  But as I previously requested, please share any data that
you may have or even a reference to such data, that would adequately
support your assertion.  If not, than reasonable people or "Regular Joes",
as you put it, will possibly find it difficult to on face value, except your
assertion seriously.

> One respondent reported that the type of behavior
> that you defend, actually increases participation. Well, if only ten percent
> of our membership were to participate in this discuss list there would be 80
> or so individual postings. I have not counted a quarter of that number
> (including posts and private approval messages from other lists that you
> have cross-posted to). Perhaps the numbers indicate that I under-estimated
> the percentage of "wimps", even after the "increased participation".

  Perhaps so, and perhaps not so.  In any event, from my own experience
and the experience of my staff, others today alone on this forum, it would seem
that you rather grossly over estimate here Ron.

>     I do not have a scientific survey to prove or disprove what the real
> numbers are, and will therefore withdraw from what one respondent described
> as "wasting bandwidth with pointless dialog".

  Good.  Glad to see that you shall as I suggested, and you now rightly
indicate, that further dialogue along these lines without some specific or
even reference to substantial data supporting your assertion, would
indeed be, as I clearly stated two days ago, a pointless and wasteful
ongoing dialogue, ergo a waste of bandwidth...

> I am sorry that you so
> fervently disapprove of civilized discourse, but I do respect your right to
> that opinion.

  I don't disapprove of civilized discourse.  I embrace it.  I disagree on
your definition as to what civilized discourse is in the modern world and
your earlier contention that Richard was not engaging in such civilized
discourse as to his tone and style or expression in written form due to
his particular desired use of vocabulary to which you seem to be so
troubled and disgruntled by.

> I now feel that further defense of my position is pointless
> and will conserve the bandwidth by relinquishing my portion of it to you.  I
> think "wimp" is the definition you will choose to apply to my decision.

  No, I believe that you have effectively proved or substantiated my and
Richards position, and recognized that your arguments to the contrary
are invalid.  That's all...  I respect your right to express your opinion
in any way you choose.  In fact, in the past I have fought, and shed
my own blood so that you may continue in the right of freedom of
expression.