Re: [atlarge-discuss] Democratic process

At 11:59 +0200 2002/09/25, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>Then if this is the problem, call a vote among the panel! Are you the Chair
>or not? Joanna, this issue is blowing up the organization. Please >understand we have to get out of it NOW.

I think some of us have been saying that for a good week now, one way and another.

Since some are likely to misunderstand this again, let me spell it out that in most organzations the process is simple and works well.

1. The Chair of the executive body raises an issue with that body (as a whole) and asks for discussion and (sooner or later) a resolution on how the problem is to be resolved. A vote is called.

2. If the resolution passes, the action it calls for is taken, after due notice to the membership about what has been resolved and why. However, if the resolution fails to pass, whether because of clear objections or because a formal vote by that body has not been called, no such action is taken.

3. If the issue is a matter of policy (which includes internal matters like how membership votes are to be conducted and the mandates of elected representatives, as well as relations with external bodies), the membership will normally be asked to ratify the executive body's decision, will have the opportunity to propose amendments, and will accept or reject the resulting motion. If it passes, it becomes part of the bylaws of the organization and serves as a precedent for the future.

Where an emergency situation arises, one does *not* dispense with the procedure. The Chair is already responsible for making sure due process is followed and any crisis resolved quickly.

That could still be done, by following the current ballot with a vote by the membership to either accept or set aside the results, and whatever other resolutions the Panel or members see fit to put forward. It appears that, for whatever reason, fewer than 200 valid ballots were cast and the name "ICANNatlarge.org" has been chosen by those who chose to vote.

>We have to work to fix the website management
>problems, get our mailing lists up and running, re-start growing...

I still think we need to recognize that, without some kind of written agreement on what this group's mission and structure will be, any attempts at recruiting or fundraising would be premature.

There is a word already for growth without order or purpose: "cancer". Those who joined this group are still hoping that's not what is happening here. The sooner we have an agreement on what we will be doing and how, the easier it will be for the various working groups to pull together towards a common goal as use this list and any others for doing what we need to do.

My opinion, however unpopular it may be...

Judyth

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>