Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: WG-DNS name protection

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 14:08, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
> Stephen Waters wrote:
>
> > 2 things:
> >
> > 1. I have to say I agree with David that I think you're too prone to
> > flaming to be a content submitter to the website *qua* webmaster.
>
> I consider it "shaming" as opposed to "flaming", anyway, here in Canada we have a
> saying:  'Where there's smoke there's fire...'  Stephen, some of us have been at this
> grind (i.e. achieving user representation in ICANN) for several years now.  Many of us
> have pretty much had it with some of the pathological committee sitting personalities
> who stand for election, get elected, and then do NOTHING but repeat themselves
> endlessly or make token commitments while obstructing any meaningful or substantive
> work from getting done.  If I speak up and criticize a Panel Member, it is my right as
> a member to do so, and I do so because I firmly believe they are doing something wrong
> (or nothing at all, which is even worse!).  OTOH, if I were to be webmaster for this
> organization (*which currently I am not*) then that would entail a different
> comportment with respect to what content is incorporated on the site, and my attitude
> to the work *qua* work would most certainly be of the highest professional standards.
> What I say as a member and what I'd do as a webmaster are two divergent scenarios,
> please dn't confuse the two.  One cannot base one's opinion of my performance of the
> latter based on my activities as the former, it would be a false inference.  The simple
> fact is that I want to see the work get done, and when it's not being done I will shame
> those who stepped forward promising to do the job.  That is my right as a member and
> nobody can circumscribe my personal right to express myself as a member. But, as
> webmaster, I would certainly avoid using such a position as a platform for my own
> individual views as I would not be acting responsibly nor professionally if I were to
> do so. Let me also state, for the record, that I agree with Jeff Williams that the term
> "diplomacy" is often a mask for the term "bullshit".  When it comes to my right as a
> member to express myself on an individual basis, pardon me, but I will not shovel shit.

Philosophically speaking, we make judgements based on heuristics. Even
as you've learned that often "diplomacy is often a mask for bullshit",
I've learned that "you attract flies with honey". Let's assume for a
moment that your negative arguments are valid. What makes you think
people are going to pay attention to you if you go on to use
inflammatory language to criticize them in addition to the core
argument?

Argue the point and get on with it. Ad hominem adds nothing.

I, for one, do not support or elect people based on negative
campaigning. I imagine Panel members of a voluntary organization daily
subject to public criticism in the midst of their personal workload and
familial responsibilities will respond to ad hominem even less. I would
certainly be reluctant to hire a person for a job if they flamed me in
public about something beyond my control. I would think to myself "Does
not play well with others. Cannot be trusted to do the job right."

You don't really believe some Panel members have been absent out of
laze, do you? While I agree they should excuse themselves or designate a
proxy, unfortunately we're in sort of a Catch-22 here with lacking
procedures, participation guidelines, etc. We need them to do something
but they're in a bind and unable to do what we need, and we have no
procedure yet for overruling that situation.

. Does yelling about it do anything at all to solve the Catch-22?
. Does sending repeated mails to the list regarding Gupta's absence make
him any more likely to show up?
. Does your manner make the Panel more or less likely to think you'd use
the website as a bully pulpit?

> > However, as an individual that's fine, of course.
> >
> > 2. The Slashcode-ish look is ok. You really need to change those <td
> > bgcolor="#ffffff"> backgrounds to delineate between various content
> > spaces, though.
>
> That is not a problem.  The site I sent you all to look at is a mock-up of a possible
> layout, not a finished product.
>
> > Personally, I prefer CSS to bgcolor declarations (easier
> > on the file downloads, too...) but users of ancient browsers may need
> > this deprecated crutch.
>
> We're trying to be inclusive here Stephen, I've been to public libraries here in
> Toronto that are still running older browsers that do not render CSS correctly.  I've
> even left out unecessary graphics for those on slow connections...  Anyway, it was an
> example of what can be done, not what must be done.  But, has anyone else offered up
> another option?

No one has, as far as I know. I was just offering constructive
criticism.

$0.02USD
-s