Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: WG-DNS name protection

Stephen Waters wrote:

> Philosophically speaking, we make judgements based on heuristics. Even
> as you've learned that often "diplomacy is often a mask for bullshit",
> I've learned that "you attract flies with honey". Let's assume for a
> moment that your negative arguments are valid. What makes you think
> people are going to pay attention to you if you go on to use
> inflammatory language to criticize them in addition to the core
> argument?

Inflammatory language?  Sarcasm and irony perhaps, but
inflammatory language?  Please.  Is someone putting you up
to this?

> Argue the point and get on with it. Ad hominem adds nothing.
>
> I, for one, do not support or elect people based on negative
> campaigning.

I am not campaigning.  I am volunteering when nobody else
would.  Whether or not you support my efforts as a
volunteer is entirely up to you.

> I imagine Panel members of a voluntary organization daily
> subject to public criticism in the midst of their personal workload and
> familial responsibilities will respond to ad hominem even less.

Mr. Gupta was warned (by myself) right after his election
that he better get on with the workload this time round as
I was going to be watching him closely. Check the
archives, my warning to him is there..  He has a history
of doing nothing as was clearly evident in the last
panel... His continued absence only vindicates my
position.  Plus, I am not wihtout support on the issue of
Mr. Gupta, or hadn't you noticed?

> I would
> certainly be reluctant to hire a person for a job if they flamed me in
> public about something beyond my control.

Mr. Gupta's absence is not beyond his control.. check the
archives, he has a habit of appearing only to make
self-righteous statements in defense of his absence and
general indolence vis a vis this organization.

> I would think to myself "Does
> not play well with others. Cannot be trusted to do the job right."

Excuse me for saying so, but that is bullshit!  The job of
webmaster is not a committee waiting to happen, it's a
technical job in which capacity one person is more than
sufficient.  Furthermore, I'm not here to play, I'm here
to work.  If you base your hiring assessments on
therapeutics and sandbox rules that's your business, but
in the real world results/actions speak louder than
camaraderie.

> You don't really believe some Panel members have been absent out of
> laze, do you?

Laze?  Not at all.  Outright disrespect for the
expectations of others and shameful
self-indulgence/absorption are more likely.  Especially in
Mr. Gupta's case.

> While I agree they should excuse themselves or designate a
> proxy, unfortunately we're in sort of a Catch-22 here with lacking
> procedures, participation guidelines, etc. We need them to do something
> but they're in a bind and unable to do what we need, and we have no
> procedure yet for overruling that situation.

So, you're content with them sitting back and doing
nothing?  What kind of a position is that?

> . Does yelling about it do anything at all to solve the Catch-22?

I'm criticizing where it's warranted, as is my democratic
right.  What about you?  How are you helping things?

> . Does sending repeated mails to the list regarding Gupta's absence make
> him any more likely to show up?

Probably not, which only drives my point home.  As I
already mentioned, I warned him at the beginning of his
present tenure that I'd be watching him specifically.

> . Does your manner make the Panel more or less likely to think you'd use
> the website as a bully pulpit?

That's for the Panel to decide, and not for you or me.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions, you're entitled to
them.  Now, do you have anything constructive and/or
substantive to add to the common cause of moving this
organization
forward or not?

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos