[atlarge-discuss] Re: To RALO or not to RALO (was: Some Simple Facts...)

On Mon, 06 Jan 2003 18:08:21 +1300, Joop Teernstra
<terastra@terabytz.co.nz> wrote:
>At 04:34 p.m. 6/01/2003, DPF wrote:

>>Let me rephrase.  To be eligible to participate in the ICANN at large
>>we can only do so through regional at large organisations.
>>
>>My strategy would be for us to do so so we get a voice inside the
>>tent, but then immediately make the case for allowing global bodies to
>>also affiliate.
>
>Since the "RALO's" will not be given power to determine the overall
>structure of ICANN's At Large membership, "making the case" for global
>bodies  will be about as successful as making the case for a global
>Individuals' constituency in the GNSO.
>You can try, but it doesn't look promising. (Agreeing with your "bad
>enough" on that score)

Oh the whole situation is somewhat depressing.  It will be interesting
if the Board appointed at large supporting organisation council will
include anyone of those who have been proponents of greater rights for
registrants or if it will be totally tame.

>On the other hand, if enough of the "icannatlarge" proponents can be
>enticed to submit to the RALO structure, ICANN will have scored a much
>needed victory on the legitimacy front.
>Do you want to hand them that? Without any concessions in return?

My reading is that if we walk away and don't play ball it will be not
even a blip on the radar screen - because we have not built up any
credibility ourselves and there are dozens of other groups such as
ISOC chapters, some ccTLDs even which will be lining up to be involved
regardless of what we do.

Given a choice between zero influence and some influence I go for some
influence as I am an optimist.

DPF
--
E-mail: david@farrar.com