Re: [atlarge-discuss] Some Simple Facts...

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003 19:53:38 -0000, "Richard Henderson"
<richardhenderson@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On the other hand, David (and I speak as one who has always valued your
>comments) - I don't think you can limit the term "Fascist" just to
>historical fascism and its victims... fascism is a mentality, fascism is an
>outlook on life, fascism is a method and an approach...

Before I get into the debate on the definition of fascism I submit
that it is intrinsically linked to historical fascism.  Basically it
is a term of abuse not far removed from calling someone a Nazi.  That
sort of name calling belongs in primary school and I don't expect to
see at large panelists (I don't mean you) throwing it about as a term
of abuse to members who don't agree with them.

The dictionary definition of fascism is:

fas·cism
1)	A system of government marked by centralization of authority
under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the
opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of
belligerent nationalism and racism.
2)	Oppressive, dictatorial control.

So Jefsey reacts to my criticism of the panel for not having made
enough progress with a retort that what I am calling for is terror,
censorship, racism and oppressive dictatorial control.  What a great
attitude to have from an elected panelist to a member.

>If that means starting up a new panel or even a new organisation, so be it.
>But first, you need to establish specifically and with clarity what your
>real goals are. Mine are a form of internet democracy... wider than ICANN,
>though there is a small corner somewhere for ICANN's temporary role to be
>considered.
>
>For others, it's simply a narrow mission to try to increase accountability
>inside ICANN, and that's that. I respect that desire, but as I think it's
>destined to be defeated, I have little real interest or commitment in what I
>perceive to be a goal doomed to failure from the start.

I have heaps of respect for what you want to do Richard but I agree
the visions are quite different.  In terms of this organisation I do
believe there should a fairly narrow goal of increasing accountability
of ICANN and the reasons for that is because there are plenty of other
organisations already set up to do these other things.

I want to fight government control of the Internet so I am a member of
Electronic Frontiers as that is their spaciality.

I want to have an accountable .nz ccTLD so I am a member of InternetNZ

I want to help with the Internet in developing countries so I am a
member of ISOC

I support open source software so I am a member of a group which
promotes that.

I think your vision of a global organisation fighting non ICANN issues
will not succeed because organisations with well defined easily
identifiable purposes will tend to be more successful - otherwise you
get mission creep which in fact is one of ICANN's big problems.

>The only bylaws I am really interested in are those which will support a
>wholly independent user group, which is militant with regard to the
>democratic rights of ordinary people worldwide, and which refuses to "do
>business" with ICANN because ICANN is - to use the term you hesitate to
>use - essentially Fascist in its top down use of power (backed by even
>greater power) to control internet and DNS interests which actually belong
>to all the world.

>I will not waste my life losing to ICANN.

ICANN is on a years trial by DOC.  I am hoping ICANN with new board
members and new staff can redeem itself to some degree and want to be
part of that process.  However if things don't get better then I will
happily be part of a submission to DOC asking for the contract to be
terminated.

We will have far more influence with DOC if we join the at large,
participate in good faith, and yet still no progress is made, than if
we have refused to have anything to do with it.  It will merely allow
ICANN to paint us as a small unrepresentative group of fanatics.

DPF
--
E-mail: david@farrar.com
ICQ:    29964527