Re: [FYI] "Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions" by RossAnderson - REVISED EDITION 1.1

On Sa, 2003-08-16 at 11:03, Dietz Proepper wrote:
> Na, Du Zitatmeister, wie sieht es mit Deinen diesbezüglichen Künsten aus?
> Um Dir auf die Sprünge zu helfen, <google mode="I feel happy">palladium virus
> protection microsoft</>.

da landet man bei
http://security.itworld.com/4357/030502longhorn/
durch weiter bei
http://security.itworld.com/4357/030502longhorn/page_1.html

und da heist es:
Future antivirus applications, for example, would be able to run in a
secure execution environment to guarantee that the application is not
corrupted, according to Microsoft.

und was soll uns das sagen. wie oft wurde eine antivirus anwendung
"corrupted"? Kann mich an kein solches problem erinnern. hilft
mir jemand (mit referenzen) weiter?

> Und jetzt zitier' bitte eine (1) Quelle welche Deine offenbar etwas
> unkritische Begeisterung nachvollziehbar macht.

ich sehe mich nicht als begeistert, und erst recht nicht als
unkritisch. Ich habe etwas gegen FUD, und das faq von ross
wie auch die seitem vom ccc schleudern massiv fud. Dagegen
sind die seiten von microsoft angenehm geschrieben - dort
werden "nur" wichtige fragen und informationen verschwiegen
oder sehr pauschal abgehandelt.

zu meinen quellen: cypherpunks ML, insbesondere postings von
argh! annonyous. ganz grob etwa:
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.01-2002.07.07/msg00369.html
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.15-2002.07.21/msg00083.html
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.15-2002.07.21/msg00225.html
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.15-2002.07.21/msg00293.html
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.29-2002.08.04/msg00042.html
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.29-2002.08.04/msg00049.html
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.29-2002.08.04/msg00128.html
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.29-2002.08.04/msg00231.html
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.29-2002.08.04/msg00233.html
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.29-2002.08.04/msg00289.html
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.29-2002.08.04/msg00290.html
... und viele andere.

besonders schön finde ich z.B.
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.15-2002.07.21/msg00293.html
That last point certainly applies to those here who continue
to predict that the government will take away general purpose computing
capabilities, allow only &quot;approved&quot; software to run, and ban
the use of Perl and Python without a license.  Try visiting the real
world sometime!

oder

www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.29-2002.08.04/msg00233.html
So TCPA and Palladium &quot;could&quot; restrict which software you
could run. They aren't designed to do so, but the design could be
changed and restrictions added.

But you could make the same charge about any software!  The Mac OS could
be changed to restrict what software you can run.  Does that mean that
we should all stop using Macs, and attack them for something that they
are not doing and haven't said they would do?

besonders gut ist dieser artikel:
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.29-2002.08.04/msg00289.html You
might be surprised to learn that under the TCPA, it is not necessary for
the TPM (the so-called &quot;Fritz&quot; chip) to trust *any* signing
keys!

The TCPA basically provides two kinds of functionality:
... (detailierte erklärung was tcpa macht. ausnahmsweise
von jemand, der die spec gelesen hat.)

da jenes cypherpunks archiv inzwischen nicht mehr existiert
ist eine offline copie doch was feines. diverse kopien habe
ich ja bereits verschickt. wer selbst stöbern will:
http://archives.abditum.com/cypherpunks/C-punks20020729/0077.html
wäre der gleiche artikel in einem neuen archiv.

> Gegenfrage. Was betrachtest Du als Zielsetzung von TCPA et. al.?

Damit verlassen wir das gebiet der fakten, denn über zielsetzungen
kann man nur spekulieren. zudem gibt es nicht die zielsetzung von
tcpa:
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.08.05-2002.08.11/msg00421.html
David Grawrock of Intel has an interesting slide presentation on
TCPA at http://www.intel.com/design/security/tcpa/slides/index.htm

His slide 3 makes a good point: &quot;All 5 members had very different
ideas of what should and should not be added.&quot;
It's possible that some of the differences in perspective and
direction on TCPA are due to the several participants wanting to
move in different ways.  Some may have been strictly focused on DRM;
others may have had a more expansive vision of how trust can benefit
all kinds of distributed applications. So it's not clear that you
can speak of the &quot;real goal&quot; of TCPA, when there are all
these different groups with different ideas.

und ich möchte mich aus gleicher quelle dem autor anschliessen:

I agree that the documentation is a problem, but IMO it probably
reflects lack of resources rather than obfuscation.  I believe that TCPA
has many more applications than you and other critics are giving it
credit for, and that a good, clear explanation of what it could do would
actually gain it support.  Do a blog search at daypop.com to see what
people are really thinking about TCPA.  They read Ross Anderson's TCPA
FAQ and take it for gospel.  They believe TCPA has serial number
revocations and all these other features that are not described in any
documents I have seen. A good clear TCPA description could only improve
its reputation, which certainly can't go any lower than it is.

selbst zu spekulieren lass ich mal lieber sein,
sonst stürzen sich wieder alle darauf, und vergessen
was fakt war und was nicht.

> Kannst Du in irgendeiner Form die Annahme daß die eigentlichen Master dem
> Benutzer unzugänglich bleiben in irgendeiner Form entkräften?

nun was soll denn ein "eigentlicher master" sein?
fachworte sind was feines, da weis jeder worüber man spricht.
die tcpa spec liefert die fachworte, und wer die ganze spec
nicht lesen will, hier ein guide über die wichtigsten seiten:
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.08.05-2002.08.11/msg00035.html

unzugänglich bei tcpa sind die schlüssel:
 - der schlüssel der tcpa
 - der des herstellers
 - vermutlich nochmal einen pro serie
 - der in der TPM.

wenn ich den secret key von ssl.amazon.com bekommen könnte,
dann wäre die sicherheit doch auch hinweg. oder die secret
keys zu den verisign zertifikaten. nee, wenn man was zertifizieren
will, dann passt das soweit schon.

und der schlüssel in der tpm: wird in der tpm erstellt und nie
exportiert. nur daher ist dessen signatur wertvoll, sonst wäre
es das nicht.

kannst ja den schlüssel in der tpm löschen lassen und neu erstellen.
das sollte gehen, kann der hersteller aber evtl. abschalten. nur
welchen wert hat dann die tpm? da kannst du auch gleich darauf
verzichten, oder die aus lassen.

> Kannst Du in irgendeiner Form die Annahme daß das was heute geplant ist für
> consumergeeignetes DRM (d.h. nicht absolut trivial aushebelbar) wesentlich
> geeigneter scheint als für eine TCB entkräften?

muss ich erraten, was du als "heute geplant ist für consumbergeeignetes
DRM" sein soll? wie positioniert sich denn
real player und windows media player dazu? sind die in deinem
sinne trivial aushebelbar, oder nicht?

mir scheint dieser artikel dazu passend zu sein:
www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/dir.2002.07.15-2002.07.21/msg00083.html

To reiterate and lay out the points explicitly:

 - Legislating DRM would be extremely expensive in the current
   environment as it would require phasing out all computers
   presently in use. This provides a huge practical burden and
   barrier for any legislation along these lines.

 - Some have opposed voluntary DRM because they believe that it
   would reduce the barrier above.  Once DRM systems are voluntarily
   installed in a substantial number of systems, it would be a
   relatively small step to mandate them in all systems.

 - But this is false reasoning; if DRM is so successful as to be
   present in a substantial number of systems, it is not necessary
   to legislate it.

 - Further, even if it is legislated, that will not stop piracy.  No
   practical DRM system will prevent people from running arbitrary
   3rd party software (despite absurd arguments by fanatics that the
   government seeks to remove Turing complete computing capabilities
   from the population).

 - Neither the content nor technology companies have incentive to
   support legislation, as they still must convince people that
   paying for content is superior to pirating it.  Legislating DRM
   will not help them in this battle, as piracy will still be an
   alternative.

 - What would help them legislatively is some kind of enforced
   watermarking technology, so that the initial &quot;ripping&quot;
   of content is impossible (this also requires closing the analog
   hole).  Only by intervening at this first step can they hope to
   break the piracy chain, and this is the real purpose of the
   Hollings bill.  See also the recent work by the BPDG.  But this
   is not DRM in the sense we are discussing it here.

> Sorry, Andreas, wenn Du so daher kommst dann stellst Du Dich auf die dritte
> Seite - die jener mit denen man nicht über das Thema diskutieren möchte.

als diskutieren kann man das gar nicht bezeichnen. ich schreie nur
auf, wenn ich lese das FUD verbreitet wird. Das anders faq, die
folien von lucky green haben einiges davon, ebenso c't und die
webseite des ccc.

Tschüss, Andreas