[ICANN-EU] language...

I realise we all sincerely hold strong views and in some cases are
continuing arguments started long ago, but if we want to have any chance of
achieving anything, then it would help if people were a little less
dissmissive of others views.

It's all too easy with e-mail to dash off a reply that is dissmissive or
downright rude. One way to deal with this is not to send the letter
immediately - stash it in the 'drafts' folder for a couple of hours then
re-read it and see if you still want to send it. Alternatively, show it to
someone else and see what they think of its tone before you send it.

Why is this important?

It's important because many of the things on this list are being raised for
what is the first time for list subscribers. If those who do know the issues
don't treat one another's views with respect, then you will sound like a
bunch of sectarian politicians wrangling about pork barrel politics, and
people will tune out. This means that the important issues needing
discussion will not get heard and there will be no informed support for
change (or keeping things as they are).

I'm not saying we all have to agree with one another - or even that we have
to like one another - just that we need to be aware of how we conduct our
debates.

Alan