Re: [ICANN-EU] language...

Alan and all,

  Most of the time I really don't care what "Language" or "Tone"
any specific post to any ML I am on depicts.  Rather I try to
read all of them with an open mind.  People should express
themselves as themselves instead of putting on airs or trying
to be "Politically Correct" in the tome or "Language" or their
posts/responses.  It is much more honest that way.  And that
is always preferable to me anyway.

Alan Lenton wrote:

> I realise we all sincerely hold strong views and in some cases are
> continuing arguments started long ago, but if we want to have any chance of
> achieving anything, then it would help if people were a little less
> dissmissive of others views.
>
> It's all too easy with e-mail to dash off a reply that is dissmissive or
> downright rude. One way to deal with this is not to send the letter
> immediately - stash it in the 'drafts' folder for a couple of hours then
> re-read it and see if you still want to send it. Alternatively, show it to
> someone else and see what they think of its tone before you send it.
>
> Why is this important?
>
> It's important because many of the things on this list are being raised for
> what is the first time for list subscribers. If those who do know the issues
> don't treat one another's views with respect, then you will sound like a
> bunch of sectarian politicians wrangling about pork barrel politics, and
> people will tune out. This means that the important issues needing
> discussion will not get heard and there will be no informed support for
> change (or keeping things as they are).
>
> I'm not saying we all have to agree with one another - or even that we have
> to like one another - just that we need to be aware of how we conduct our
> debates.
>
> Alan

Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 9236 fwd's to home ph#