Re: [icann-eu] At Large Study web site, members

At 14:38 +0100 3/4/01, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:55:06 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>Hans - this sort of foolishness is just going to confirm the total
>>irrelevancy of your efforts in the minds of the people willing to
>>give the U.S. liberals another chance to participate effectively in
>>At Large.
>
>Dear Mr. Roberts,
>
>I am not an "US liberal". In fact, I'm not American - I'm Italian and
>I'm not a member of any political party. But I am a member of the ICC.
>
>I went to Los Angeles on my own, because I believe in the bottom-up
>organization of the Internet and in the ideal that "the Internet is
>for everyone" and especially for people, and not just for businesses -
>even if I am a manager for an international dot-com company. And I
>personally find it hurting that you reduce an international issue into
>a matter of local (US) politics.

I was objecting to an outrageous case of character assassination  by
an American university professor who should know better.

>I don't know if you believe in this ideal, or in any other ideal.
>But I am sure that Mr. Bildt does have ideals. Nevertheless, if the
>news about him not coming to Melbourne is true, I wonder how much
>interest he in fact has in this particular issue. I also wonder if any
>At Large member is a member of the At Large Study committee. As an At
>Large member, I feel like a native american whose future is being
>decided by a committee of nine WASP persons (just to put it the
>American way, if you like it).

We all have ethnic backgrounds of one kind or another.  I'm fourth
generation of Irish-American.  What does that have to do with fitness
to serve on the study committee?  Were you actually serious in
suggesting that all nine of the committee members are Anglo-Saxon
Protestant?

I suspect that several of the members of the study committee
activated their memberships and voted in last year's election.  Since
we promised everyone privacy in this matter,  it's none of your
business or mine whether they did or not.

The Chair and Vice Chairs of the study committee have already put in
dozens of hours working to get the study organized and to prepare for
the first meeting in Melbourne.  Pindar Wong, Vice Chair, who is from
the Asia Pacific region, is eminently qualified to preside in
Melbourne.  As others on this list have observed in the past, there
has to be balance in access to the committee via several different
means - face to face, email, web, forums, etc.  Since the site and
email are now up, further suggestions on effective communication - to
the committee and its Executive Director - are very much in order.