RE: [atlarge-discuss] 003 WG-ID membership criteria

Concerns have been expressed to me offlist about why I would want to
discourage anonymous contributions in this way, so maybe an explanation is
needed.

This organization is not a DNSO constituency for corporations. It is for the
general public at large to obtain a vote in the process, representation
through direct participation.

First, a voter is not a voter without a name and some ID, it doesn't matter
who you work for, or what democracy you live in.

Second, it would be extremely foolish to go down the road of asking private
corporations who have a vested interest in the process elsewhere to verify
our membership database for us.

Third, we have been elected by people who have had the courage to stand up
and be counted, real living breathing human beings with names and faces. And
as demonstrated in 2000 elections, there are tens of thousands of them out
there more than willing to be identified in order to get a vote and who,
right now, are very, very angry indeed to have their votes stolen from them
by ICANN, not only in the At Large, but also the DNSO GA, in fact
everywhere.

Fourth, it's also not a good idea to stand in the front line, only to be
accused of fighting for a bunch of anonymous corporate employees (nothing
personal intended). The smart move is to use our personal ID as our
ammunition. We really don't need to know the kind of detail that Joey Star
Walker is giving out in his entertaining personal diaries, but if you're
asking me to voluntarily fight for you without even Identifying yourself to
me, then you're being unrealistic. This has to be a two way street or it's
not going to work in my opinion.

So, to recap, the view from here is that at this early stage, only
individuals who are willing to go through an ID process get votes, and not
those hiding behind corporations or other organizations, and that WG-ID is
being set up to help us clarify those issues and develop appropriate
policies that first and foremost protect the public interest - not the
corporate paymasters.

That doesn't mean your personal information is going to be published in the
public domain, but it does mean it has to be known to the current
administration of this organization, which at this time includes me, hence I
am going to continue flagging those that appear to be corporate or
organizational votes that have slipped through net. In that way, the
integrity of the organization's membership roster is best protected.

I'll be posting something shortly on the Name issue, as I sense we can start
to wrap that up, or at least move forward.

Regards,
Joanna