[atlarge-discuss] FW: [atlarge-panel] 006 Deciding Name - Resolution and Recommendationto Members

-----Original Message-----
From: Joanna Lane [mailto:jo-uk@rcn.com]
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 2:58 PM
To: Michael Geist; atlarge-panel@lists.fitug.de
Subject: RE: [atlarge-panel] 006 Deciding Name - Resolution and
Recommendationto Members

> > >  > To explicitly operate outside ICANN, it is to be so far
> > >
> > >What then of CIRA and other non-icann-branded constituencies?
> > >

> > CIRA and other cc's are not about ICANN nor does it seek a direct
> > voice on ICANN in the same way that at-large does.  While ICANN
> > issues are discussed by the board, it is hardly a key focus.
> >
> > MG

Michael,
I meant also to respond to this part of your post, because you raise an
important point. My understanding is that this AtLarge organization is not
going to make ICANN its key focus either, only part of its focus. Obviously
ICANN is not going to provide the At Large with any funding or appropriate
mechanisms. I want the freedom to be able to deal with the ccTLDs directly.
ICANN is not going to provide it. I want to be able to send reports and
comments to the Board of ICANN directly, to its ERC and so on. ICANN is
going to force me to work through the ALOC, or another committee layer so
that my views can be filtered out if they do not fit the top down model. I
want to work on agendas that are "out of scope" for ICANN, such as Alt
Roots.  In short, I want autonomy, and the right to talk to whoever I want
directly, without being buried under layers of ICANNspeak, without having
my
agenda dictated to by a self-serving and corrupt administration. Of course
we must be willing to work *with* ICANN, but it would be a mistake to be
perceived as a body who works *for* ICANN.  We must reinforce the
perception
that we are a separate entity. That's why we need separate branding.

Regards,
Joanna