[atlarge-discuss] Why do users need a place at the table?

>From Ross Rader's blog at byte.org:  "Why do users need a place at the table?"

"I was just reading through Esther's interview at OpenDemocracy and it
occurred to me that over the last four years I've not heard (or perhaps more
precisely, I don't remember hearing) any arguments concerning why user
participation in ICANN is appropriate. I mean, it seems perfectly logical and
healthy for providers, producers, customers and caretakers of the DNS and
domain names to be involved - but actually users? If "user" means "those that
use the resources of the Internet and in doing so take advantage of the
resolution services of the DNS" then I need some significant education as to
what the fuss is about. I'm not saying that user participation on some level
is or isn't desirable, I'm just saying I don't think that I "get it" enough
to actually buy either side of the argument. If on the other hand "user"
means "an individual who has registered a domain name", then the picture is
quite clear to me - they need representation and they need it now. I think I
have some reading to do this weekend" ;)

Any thoughts on this commentary?

I have a related question for the group:  If "users" are to be represented in
ICANN, should all users (and not just domain name registrants) be expected to
fund ICANN's activities?  Does this imply establishing contracts with the one
"provider" group that is not yet under contract, the ISPs, so as to have a
vehicle for the receipt of such funds?