Re: [atlarge-discuss] [WG-ID] WoT

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:43:29 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >For consideration by this WG-ID:
> >
> >I'd like to suggest the Thawte 'Web of Trust' as an excellet schema ALREADY in
> >operation worldwide, which has been operating successfully for SEVERAL years
> >and has notiaries in MOST countries, AND is a FREE identity verification
> >service which will save us a lot of time and energy trying to re-invent the
> >wheel.
>
> Yes - in fact, for what I've been told of it, the Web of Trust seems to be a
> strong candidate. However I'd like to have more than one method, as I think
> that no method will be able to cover 100% of our potential members. Each
> person willing to join should be able to choose its identification method
> among a list of supported ones that is as inclusive as possible, provided
> that such methods grant a sufficient degree of security.

OK, let's see the other methods you have in mind.  AFAIK and have seen so far on
this and other lists, there are no other global options on the table.  So,
shouldn't we start with what's available today and worry about expanding our
choices in time to come?  There really is no time like the present to take action
and I detest delaying till tomorrow what can be done today.  We have to start
somewhere, let us consider it a best effort beginning with the promise to expand
our scope in future.  I don't think we should delay implementing the WoT
verification schema.  We can always add others as they become available/known.

Furthermore, the Web of Trust Community is an excellent place for us to carry on
with Outreach as there is significant community sentiment among WoT participants,
to verify this just do a search in Google with the terms: Thawte Web of Trust

I'd like to hear what the other members of this WG think about this.

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos