Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [wg-bylaws] Re: [atlarge-panel] votes about to be called

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 23:00:56 -0000, "Richard Henderson"
<richardhenderson@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>When was the whole membership asked THEIR views on whether to participate in
>ICANN's RALOs and asked their views on our relationship to ICANN?

While I am keen to make progress I agree with Richard that the
membership should vote on this fundamental issue firstly as it will
affect most other things.

I think the key decision is whether or not to join ICANN's ALSO
through the RALOs or stay totally outside as a pressure group etc.

To help informed decision making perhaps what would be useful is for
the panel to approve a vote on joining the RALOs or not and as part of
that have the proponents for both views present say a 250 word summary
of their case.  I would certainly be happy to present the case for
joining and Richard has been eloquent in presenting the case not to do
so.

Once this issue is decided then mission statements and bylaws can
follow fairly quickly.  It would also allow those who don't like the
decision to direct their efforts elsewhere if they wish to.
Personally I will stay involved no matter what the decision because I
believe in using every opportunity there is to make the case for
increasing ICANN's accountability.

DPF
--
E-mail: david@farrar.com