Re: [atlarge-discuss] ELECTIONS AND REVIVAL ORGANIZATION ????

At 03:35 a.m. 21/02/2003, J-F C. (Jefsey)  Morfin wrote:
Due to the moderate interest by this list in the election that many have shouted for I wander if I must cotinue to proceed?

Not "moderate interest", Jefsey. I interpret the silence as agreement that an election is needed.

But democracy cannot be hurried. It is a slow process to proceed when for every step some consensus is needed.

1. I have asked Joop to prepare the boot. He asked clarifications IRT the definition of what we would vote for. I responde an 11 members Panel, managing the web site and the Membership list, incorporating and entering into MoUs subject to the Memership approval for everything else - what addresses in a simple and in orderly way what the most vociferous asked for. This for six months if there is no incorporation, one year otherwise.

I am willing to Poll the membership on a series of choices for a Panel mandate and either hold the elections at the same time, or immediately afterwards.

To hold elections immediately afterwards is better, as we know then who to Nominate for which role.
It is also best practice to let the voters adopt some rules of procedure BEFORE the Panel or any other elected Officer sits down, or else we may end in chaos again.

Now we all need to know if he will provide the booth or if he too will quit :-)
I will help. Please do not rush me. I am already multi-tasking.

2. I have asked Joop that the Panel Members may act as Voting Controllers. I want to be one. I suppose Bruce, Vittorio and others from the Panel (including the waintinglist) may want to be one too.
I propose that Voting Watchers be only 2 and will ask non-panel members such as Walt Schmidt and Jan Siren. ( I hope they will find time to report on the last Poll, which they watched)

I do not think any Panel Member or candidate should be involved with the Polling at all.

3. We have nominated people on this list and on the Forum. I wish there are others, but we can proceed. I may send them a mail to ask them if they accept being candidate.
If we proceed on this basis, without a proper membership-wide announced Nomination Period and a time for the members to question their candidates, we set icannatlarge up for failure, again.

4. We have a first proposed country to incorporate, I hope we have another one.
All in good time.
Let the members first discuss the merits of the place of incorporation and determine *what* we are incorporating there. (a Party, a Club, a loose network, an Umbrella structure or what)

If there is support to proceed, the plan I proposed can be easily executed, we may start voting on Sunday if enough candidates, or the other Sunday if we need more. We can also reduce the Panel to 7 if there are not candidates enough. But I must say that if we do not vote for a panel now, I think there is something broken in this group after so many demands (or the demands did not represented whatthe Members wanted?). I keep with my target to incorporate in March and to sign MoUs with Joop (Polling Booth), DPF (his initaitive), Danny (his SME contituency), me (atlarge/ws) and may be others in April, after the Members voted them.
Sorry, Jefsey. This timetable is unrealistic for a democracy, given the fact that we do not even have agreed Bylaws.
Nothing is broken. Give the multi-taskers the time to come together and agree on how to proceed from the wishes the members expressed in the last Poll.
Leave a few weeks for further Polling to sharpen the picture of what the members agree on.

THEN we close Nominations and elect a new Panel.

Everybody can speed this up by proposing their own Questions for the Booth.

I am ready to start a Poll on the

1. Number of Panelists (3 options)
2. Mandate of the Panel (3 options)
3. Other elected Officers needed (3 options)

4. List of people from which to tick preferred Nominees for Panel.
5. List of people from which to tick preferred Nominees for Polling Commission. (if this is desired by the members)
6. further poll (depends on outcome of 3)

With these data published on the website, a Nomination period can be announced membership wide on this list and in the Forum.

Of course nothing stops people from starting to post their early nominations here or in the Forum.

Build your foundation first, then the upper structure.

-joop-