[atlarge-discuss] Re: acceptance of watcher role

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> >Finally, I retain the right to report on the *process* of the voting/watching
> >as I experience it (apart from the outcome), directly to the discuss list.
>
> Absolutely.
> Can you post your conditional (enough time!) acceptance to the Forum or the
> list , so that it is public?
>
> And Thanks!
>
> -joop-

My original hope was that somehow, single-handedly, I would be able to detect
election fraud, ballot-box stuffing, etc.  I don't think, based on what
you've related to me, that I can guarantee that.  The best I am likely to be
able to do is count up the results from within the Polling Booth, see if the
numbers compare with yours, and do some spot-checks on random raw ballots (if
I can figure out how to do that).  By doing so I may be able to add value to
the process as a whole, and provide some modicum of confidence to the voters.

I place some stock in the thought that, at this stage of the organization's
existence, the likelihood of some faction's interest in "capturing" the vote
is small, and barring mistakes, the outcome will be a straightforward
expression of the interests of the majority of those who vote.  That, I
perceive, is the larger concern: that the voting participation is
large enough to be representative.

I am very pleased that Judyth wants to do this too.  Let's move the process
forward.