RE: [atlarge-discuss] what most members want

At 06:05 03/04/03, Joop Teernstra wrote:
Unilateralists of the world Unite. :-)
hmmm. then I will be proposed to join from Vittorio+Judyth's tale but I am afraid I could not :-) !!!

We all want elections. The members have just told us what they want to elect fellow members for.
The Chair mandated me to organize them. The Panel voted them. We desperately tried to organize them with Jan, Judyth, you and every uniliateralist involved and Members. Welcome to the team.

Now it must be organized.
Glad you say so :-)

Can we (unilateralists) perhaps agree on how to organize these elections?
Can I (fed up with further obstacles and delay) perhaps be persuaded to wait for another 30 days to see if such amicable and practical agreement between adults can be reached , before I organize the elections "unilaterally"?
Thank you for proposing a delay to smooth the things.

Can you, Judyth? (you hold the "official" list)
Jan too.

Can you, Jefsey? (I know you have a list not very different from mine. I gave it to all Panel members, remember)
There is no Jefsey. There are three dedicated Panelists. The day Judyth accepts that weill be a great day.

Now, we do have a list which is uncomplete. We have no problem in running an election, but our duty is to every member. Including Jan, Judyth and you and the last registered ones. I would agree to use the partial list we have only if I am sure there is no other way out. You obviously permit one.

It should be the outcome of elections that counts, not who organizes them.
This is only partly true. You and Judyth have shown that you have agendas concerning these elections. Our mandate as Panelists is to reelect a Panel which in turn may take decisions responding to your agenda. If we supported any other option we would lose our legitimacy and would be of no use to the community. Jefferson said that representaitives were the relations of those who have none. We are here to be protect the positions of all those who are not vocal on this list or did not responded to your private polls. This meant 900 for your fist vote, 1000 for the last one.

So untill it is not possible to do otherwise I will sitck to what I think is our duty;
- to organize an 11 Panelists election
- to incorporate asap a secretariat permitting this community to legally own its Members list, its domain name and its site, whatever the fancies/agenda/fairy tales of some of its Members.
- to proceed by MoUs and Motions approved by the Membership.

But *if* who organizes them is likely to make a difference in the outcomes, then I accept that that battle must be fought first. Vittorio's election has proven how vulnerable we are.
I dont think there is any difference if the new Panel is just permitted to be elected and then decide. But I think that nothing prevent Members to clearly add their own demands through an additional poll.

My suggestion (personnal so I have to ask Bruce and Eric abuot it) would be that the election could be run together with a Poll using a neutral wording (by DPT as you suggested) of questions proposed by the Members. This way legitimacy would be respected (we do not have a continuity break which would mare our future) and your, Judyth's, Vittorio's agenda could be represented as well as every other one. This would give the Panel clear indication at the very tilme it is elected.

The problem is always the same: the way your booth is designed and the lack of trust of a part of the Members in this system. As far as I am concerned, I would accept the election and this poll to be carried on your booth at the same time. But I need to know the position of Bruce and Eric and to keep in mind we all want the elected Panel to be accepted by everyone.

30 days.
For the sake of not acting unilaterally.
I think the Panel has already waited far more :-)
Thank you.
jfc