RE: [atlarge-discuss] An opportunity to help

I think this is exactly how the At Large should be spending our time and
energy, then there would be some motivation to stay involved, and the At
Large would have members lining up in their thousands with cash at the
ready. Mr. Bode is not alone. I am currently dealing with a similar problem
and it's a nightmare, only my ISP didn't even have the courtesy to inform me
they were folding.

In my case, I registered my first .com through a UK ISP who handled all the
registration details and put themselves in as admin contact, and my UK Sole
Trading name as Registrant, but they did not add any email contact for my
company, only a mailing address. A year or so later, I received an invoice
for web hosting services I had not ordered from an ISP I did not recognize.
The return address was a PO BOX number in London. Checking the WHOIS, I
discovered the original ISP had evaporated without informing me and the new
ISP had appeared as the Admin contact. I contacted this new ISP by email at
the address published in the Whois, that corresponded with the one on their
printed stationery. No response, although the messages did not bounce. I
then attempted to phone. It was a London number, but answered by a recorded
message that was in a Scandinavian language that I did not understand. Time
passed. I decided to instigate a transfer request through Dotster to see
what would happen. The transfer was denied on the basis of a non-functioning
Admin email address. I was told to contact NSI direct, but in the
intervening period (several years), I had moved to the USA and started a new
company, no was longer using the trading name published in Whois. The
registration is paid to 2004, but I am not getting the benefit of it.

Anyone else? We could start resolving these issues by forming a committee to
lobby the Registries on a case by case basis. Only non-verified Registrants
need apply.

Joanna