RE: [atlarge-discuss] Questions for any and all ICANNATLARGE.COM election Candidates - First Round

Jeff Williams wrote:

>The following are some question that as a candidate I have
>for my fellow candidates:

OK

>1.) What in your opinion, specifically, does the ICANNATLARGE.COM
>     membership stand for?

Whatever the concensus of its members say it does!  Hopefully, that will be
to serve as a voice for Internet users.

>2.) Are there any principals that the ICANNATLARGE.COM
>      members can expect form you as a candidate?  What are they?

Openness: many of my opinions on a great number of issues are discussed on
my Web site at http://www.barelyadequate.info.
Honesty: I've never been shy about stating where I stand on any issue!  That
won't change.
Fair dealing: Unlike many ICANN folks, you won't catch me saying one thing
and doing another!

>3.) Does in your opinion as a candidate, the membership work for
>    you if elected, or do you serve the membership?

Government should serve the people!  (You didn't seriously expect anyone to
answer thge reverse, did you?!)

>4.) How do you determine for a relative certanty, what the membership
>     Consensus is on any particular issue that may be considered as a
>     "Best Practice" or Policy to/from either ICANN, or should ICANN
>     as it is today not survive, any other replacing entity?

By vote of the membership.  Anything less is just an opinion.

>5.) Do you believe that members of ICANNATLARGE.COM should
>      have a vote in issues or pending policies that effect them
>      directly or indirectly before they are implemented?

Yes.

>6.) What should the makeup of the ICANNATLARGE.COM
>     representatives be from a geographical perspective?  Or
>     is geographical diversity a necessity?

Geographical diversity of our membership is an absolute necessity.  The
membership will vote in who they vote in, but if we did a good job of
drawing in a very diverse membership, this will be reflected in our leaders
as well.

>7.) What as a candidate or if elected do you intend to do yourself
>     with respect to outreach?

I have already spammed my personal e-mail list several times trolling for
members.  If elected, I'll approach the local press and media, and try and
get print space or air time to widen my reach.

>8.) What as a candidate or if elected, be willing to go door to door
>      to find and recruit new members and funding for ICANNATLARGE.COM?

You're kidding, right?  The media would be far more time-effective!

>9.) How do you as a candidate view the best structure for
>     ICANNATLARGE.COM?  Is this in your opinion very
>     important, somewhat important, or of minor importance,
>     and why?

I think the US Congressional system, with standing committees and
sub-committes could be an effective way to organize.  But I'm not wedded to
any particular structure as long as it gets things done and carries out the
will of the membership.

>10.)  What do you as a candidate, and in your opinion is the
>        best possible method of funding and/or funding model for
>        ICANNATLARGE.COM?

I think we should first try to maximize the use of volunteers for as many
functions as we can.  Beyond that, funding should be strictly voluntary, and
dues, membership fees etc., *should not* be leavied as a condition of
membership.

>11.) Do you as a candidate and/or possible elected representative
>       believe that ICANNATLARGE.COM should and/or needs
>       to interface/work with governments/ government entities, and
>       how do you propose this could best be accomplished?

Yes.  We might set up a government liaison function for this

>       Should the members have to approve such a method(s) via a
>       referendum vote or by "rough consensus" in your opinion?

Certianly!  Anything done on behalf of the organization should have the
backing of the majority of the membership.

>12.) What privacy protections for members/stakeholders/users or
>       future members of ICANNATLARGE.COM do you believe
>       as a candidate are relevant and minimum?

Thje organization should shield its members personal info from disclosure,
and not pass it to any other organization without the members' knowledhge
and consent.

>       Should members or future members have the right of review
>       or OptOut and opt-in?

Opt in.

>       Should members or future members of ICANNATLARGE.COM
>       vote on such an issue?

Yes.  They should vote on all our policies.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info