Re: [ICANN-EU] ICANN MEMBERS' FORUM: Los Angeles, Nov. 12

> Roberto,
>
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>
> > Marc,
> > >
> > >Am I in a bad mood, or does this sound very ICANNesk: "recognized
> > >leaders", claiming recognition by "anonymous individuals" (half of
> > >whom never fully immatriculated as member, and of whom they will
> > >hardly know even 1%) are going to "create" something "enduring", to
> > >wit a "self-organization"?

This "recognized leader" phrase put me off too. Could this be a
matter of different cultural backgrounds? In any event, to me it
seems inappropriate.
While I concede that some form of  "boot-strapping" seems to be
necessary if we want the ALM to get anywhere, we should be very
careful to avoid the intransparency that we've criticized with regard
to ICANN's board.

> > >Can those who have no PIN also attend, provided they can afford to fly
> > >to California? How do you tell who is a member and who not?
> > >
> > >Truly an ICANNesk bottom-up process of concensus. Keep the tradition
> > >going.
> >

> > FYI, Hans is one of the people who is trying to help in building a bottom-up
> > process. That's why he is organizing this fully open meeting.

True, and he deserves all the credit for that. However, the way the
program committee has been put together isn't exactly what one
would call bottom-up, is it?

> Yes, I understood that much :-) Received the message 6 or 7 times, so
> it must get across.
>
> > BTW, there's nothing wrong in using ICANNesk language at ICANN meetings ;>)
>
> I am not sure I agree about that.

I am quite sure that I don't agree. ICANNesk language is a lawyers'
language full of palliations and doubtful pretences. I don't want to
play this game, not even language-wise.

 I am sure I begin to dislike more