[atlarge-discuss] Trying to broaden a Mission Statement

HelpThoughts on Mission Statement:

We are a non-profit organisation, open to people all over the world, which seeks to
promote the fair and free use and administration of the Internet, as a means to
freedom, justice, development, commerce, communication, and personal interests.

We believe that the Internet is a priceless worldwide resource which should be
administered to benefit all peoples, regardless of wealth, social status or gender.

To this end, we believe that the ordinary people of the world - including both the
millions of end-users and also those millions without online access as yet - should be
fully represented in the processes of Internet Governance.

As part of our mission we believe that the Internet must be subjected to democratic
oversight, rather than the vested interests of big business or powerful regional
governments, favoured groups or political entities.

We aim to provide a platform to give a voice, and representation, for people all over
the world who wish to use the Internet and explore its implications for a wide range
of issues including: oppressive regimes and restricted access to the internet; freedom
of speech; issues of poverty and development; commerce and intellectual property
issues; issues of justice, charity work, and the Internet's role in these; consumer issues,
with particular reference to internet processes; and the governance and administration
of the Internet itself.

In conclusion, we aim to support the needs and rights of all to internet access, and to
ensure that the use and administration of the Internet is enabling, rather than prejudicial
or detrimental. The Internet belongs to the world and to the millions of ordinary people
who use it day to day, develop it, learn from it, share on it, co-operate, communicate -
and belongs equally to the millions beyond who are our future internet users or
beneficiaries. We, the ordinary users of the Internet, have an overwhelming right to
determine its development. These are our slogans:

"INTERNET FOR EVERYONE"  ...  "IT'S YOUR INTERNET"

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Appendix (one of what could be several):

Participation in Internet Governance.

We aim to achieve the representation of the worldwide internet public in the processes
of internet governance, firstly by creating a platform for the expression and
representation of viewpoints; and secondly by insisting on our right to participate in
ICANN (the body authorised by the US DoC to administer the technical structures
of the internet) and to be fully represented in it at decision-making level.

We believe that elected representatives of the worldwide public should have a
controlling influence in the governance and administration of the internet, including
those key areas currently administered by ICANN.

To this end, we are presently involved in ICANN's organisation of an "At Large"
structure, but remain a separate and independent entity with a free voice. We support
the election of ordinary internet users as Board Members in ICANN and press for this
principle to be adopted.

Meanwhile we will also participate in other public forums and lobby both inside and
outside ICANN to get a significant user representation in all processes of Internet
governance. It is the right of the people - worldwide - to be represented in the control
and development of what is essentially THEIR resource : a resource for all peoples,
with the potential to influence so many lives and benefit so many people.

The moral case is so strong that we will fight for its fulfilment : the fulfilment of a vision
of one world, represented at user level and individual level, sharing together and
communicating together, an internet truly for the people and run by the people.

That is our case.

Regards

Richard Henderson