Re: [atlarge-discuss] Revised ALAC report submission schedule

At 08:33 a.m. 15/08/2002 -0700, Bret Fausett wrote:
I would appreciate hearing from those who would vote not to participate in
the ALAC, what their favored approach would be instead. It's pretty easy to
throw mud at one effort, but something else entirely to come up with your
own plan for influencing ICANN policies.

Personally, I hope that our newly elected leaders don't take this group -- a
group that is the best bottom-up organizational effort to date -- down a
path that will see it marginalized or completely disregarded. A thousand
people are counting on being able to make a difference.
I agree that we need a public vote of *all* the elected Panel members on this critical issue.
I actually even doubt if the members have given that mandate to the supervisory Panel and its majority decision should be ratified by the whole current membership.

If we are now forced to "negotiate" with ICANN (realpolitik) we would be MAD to do so before having built up our bargaining strenght. (Our Numbers, our Democratic constitution, our connections with the media, the credibility of our leaders, etc.)
Pending that, the only [albeit minute] strength that we have lies in being refuseniks.

Of course Esther loves us to be "represented" on her ALOC.
Then we have given up the only bargaining power that we have.

Refusing to be distracted by ALAC is not being negative.
It is keeping the focus on BUILDING a proper structure ourselves. That is the only path that will not lead to marginalization.

--Joop