[atlarge-discuss] Re: [atlarge-panel] Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [atlarge-panel] RE: "Efforts" since elected and all that jazz...

At 11:20 05/09/02, Joop Teernstra wrote:
At 10:54 a.m. 5/09/2002 +0200, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
Or, even simpler, we could simply create a private IRC channel
wherever we want and use that for text-based discussions. This is
actually a "proposal" for record purposes ;-) If others agree, setting
it up could be very quick.
Strongly in favour. When something needs to be discussed urgently, this is the simplest and most effective way. Just mind the timezones. There are always some that suffer ungodly hours.
I am sorry, but my response is no. Even if I turn being the old "nosayer" papyweb.

The rational is always the same: we are and we want to build an international serious structure among serious people. Asynchrosnism is of the essence.

- to respect time zone
- to respect other activities than @large in people life
- to permit thinking and serious decisions
- to permit a complete awareness by all the concerned people
- to permit private consultation before taking a position
- to limit the time of access to the network
- etc.. etc...

If 80% of the use of the network is e-mail, there is probably a reason why. I am happy with it and I will not move out of it. Because it is efficient, because non one can be influenced, because mess is seen by everyone, because it is easily programmable, because there is a life outside of the @large.

We need agreed professional procedures
We need defined and respected missions
We need self organization

Every private solution using phone, ICQ, f2f meeting etc.. is fine with me. But none has to be structural. No decision can be taken by such channels. No one must be obligated to use them.

I know democracy is some times boring.
jfc

--Joop

---