Re: [atlarge-discuss] WG-OUTREACH 003 - Update and Action List

Dear James:

    My message was not meant to be an indictment of the Panel.  It was a
serious response to your suggestion that the multi-level outreach plan that
Richard is promoting would fail, because similar attempts by other
organizations had failed.

    I believe that we have every reason to succeed, and that we will
succeed.  However, we do need to have either the Panel or an active WG that
will respond to each serious issue raised by the membership.

    What are we doing about a stance on "transfers"?  This is a horrible
thorn in the side of many of the Internet @large.  They may not be actually
registering their own domains, or renewing them, or trying to transfer them,
but the user suffers (sometimes in spectacularly distressing ways) when the
system fails. Other groups are taking this issue seriously and will present
opinions and proffer solutions at the ICANN conference.

    What are we doing in Shanghai?  Do we even know who is attending, much
less what their mission is or what they are to present themselves as.  I
suspect that the answer from some of the members will be...  "no-one from
the Panel or the Membership list has any authority to represent our
organization, officially or unofficially", and therefore must attend the
conference, incognito.

    My recent plea to the Panel to develop and present to the membership, a
time-line for specific urgent actions, went without response.  I suggested a
time-line for the presentation, discussion, evaluation and adoption of a
constitution.  The only response was from another member, who wanted to
initiate a debate on semantics.  I had earlier proposed a resolution giving
the Panel total authority to complete their mandated tasks, without
hindrance, in exchange for a firm completion time-line of their choosing,
and a weekly progress report.  The Panel response was...  silence.

    I am delighted to read that you believe the panel could resolve the
organizational issues within two months, "if we want to".  Does this imply
that we "might not want to"?  Two months, James, takes us to the middle of
December.  If the Panel can complete all the work that you have listed by
the middle of November, why is no one prepared to concur with my suggestion
that the Constitution, or whatever it ends up being called, be ratified by
the end of November?

    From the point of view of a simple member, who is totally committed to
our cause, I am concerned that it has taken six months so far to get to the
point where we can actually do something in the next two months.  "If we
want to".

    Please let Richard move ahead with his WG-OUTREACH and encourage others
to promote active WGs, while the Panel addresses the organizational
structure.  At least that way, we can "reach out" with work-in-progress
rather than promise. And, satisfy those who are pleading for a formal
organization.

Sincerely, Ron