Re: [atlarge-discuss] worldatlarge.org web site status report etc.

Wednesday, August 14, 2002 * 3:55 PM EDT USA

At 01:23 PM 8/14/2002 -0400, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:12:05 +0200, you wrote:
>
>We should avoid any possible confusion between registration to the site
>and registration as member.
[SNIPPED....]

> I think it's better if we first discuss and take some
> formal decisions on the webmaster, the hosting, and the structure of the new
> website, and then we start working on implementation. Otherwise we only risk
> wasting time and growing up confusion.

Sigh. OK Vittorio, whatever you like... Here I was trying to make life easy
for everyone by showing a little initiative in setting up an efficient and easy
to manage web content system. There have been no other alternatives (or even
volunteers).
Sotiris:

It's one of the best looking sites I've seen. While this is a big complement, it is not simply that.

I am challenged with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder, referred to as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in children; I was never that! ;-) ). A component of that is visual, along with varieties of dyslexia (hence my omissions and typos in my posts).

The visual component for me in looking at web pages is that they have to have a certain "consonance," as opposed to dissonance), for me to be able to tolerate looking at them. I mean that literally.

Your page http://worldatlarge.org/index.php has consonance! It is EASY for me to look at and be drawn into it.

The only thing I [EYE] might change if it's even possible, is go with the next size up in main, central stories text just to make it sustainably easier for me to read. I work with a screen resolution of 1024 by 768, which makes my icons small but I know where they all are after all this time.

Otherwise I work at 11 points or larger in composing these posts in Word, and have recently taken a liking to Verdana, and set my browser to medium text (your page does not respond to text-size change).

So, I suppose you are somehow right in forestalling this attempt
at getting this organization organized.  Very well.  Today, I am sitting back
and licking wounds; the wounds I suffered in saving a little girl's life on a
lake yesterday, and the wounds and setbacks I've repeatedly suffered on the
ICANNia and related fora from those who would stifle democratic initiative,
intrepidity and creativity.  I have a damn thick skin, but sometimes...
Vittorio, I too experience your words as a forestallation. I see that your approach to things is very linear and hierarchical, which may be fine in other times and places but is, sadly, quite stifling and deflating in our current time and place. I would react the same as Sotiris.

While it is fine to say there is (or going to be) a WG for Web Site(s), by the sound of it the WG needs to run to catch up with and join Sotiris rather than the reverse. Why not trust that people who have a feeling and a talent for something can do a good job, and let them have their "heads" at it, much as a thoroughbred horse who loves to run, and get in the race with THEM?!

Telling Sotiris that he "of course...should definitely join [the WG]" I experience as downright dismissive!

Hang in there Sotiris. And Vittorio, please, please "chill out" and join the race. ;-)

/s/ Joey

=====
Put your action where your... err... speech is!
-----
Support democratic operation of the Internet! Go to http://www.icannatlarge.com and Join ICANN At Large!
---
Then create your personal volunteer profile at http://www.icannatlarge.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19 and tell everyone what you have done, and/or can do, and/or are willing to do -- NOW! :-)
-----
(Please at least book mark the above links.)