[atlarge-discuss] AtLarge-discuss Summary 01 Sep - 15 Sep 2002

atlarge-discuss list
Archives: http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/

Summary, 01 Sep 2002 - 15 Sep 2002
Nearly 315 messages from 33 senders

On Tuesday Sept. 3, Joanna Lane posted a summary of contributions of
our panel since elected, which had some comments:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00015.html

Joop Teernstra pointed to ERC Second Implementation Report just released
and Joanna made the first comment: no at large votes, no at large places
on the nominating commitee:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00031.html

Danny Younger posted a longer and detailed comment, mainly focused on
how establish an ALAC:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00027.html

Replying to Vivek Durai in a panel discussion on website email and
membership list, JFC Morfin posted a proposal 'to have atlarge.org issue
settled': site, servers configuration, WG-DNS and other:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00039.html

Richard Henderson called for a speedup in voting for Name:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00055.html
several posts expressing agreement, or restating similar concepts, or
discussing implementation, among others the thread:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00115.html

Norbert Klein warned about a growing frustration:
>I still keep my address footer calling to join ICANN At Large at
>www.icannatlarge.com  at the end of every mail I write, always hoping we get back to the
>dynamic start we had around the Ghana meeting. Because I hope we can make an
>impact on the further development of ICANN as democratically controlled
>organization. But if we do not move in a way which can be understood by many -
>not only by the frequent posters on this list - we will be irrelevant.
and Ron Sheerwood, writing about some polemic exchanges:
>    As anyone who has ever participated in any form of democratic leadership
>will tell you, leadership without power is an exercise in frustration.  Our
>panel has been elected to do something that borders on the impossible [...]
>    We have recently seen a number of similar posts and, while frustration
>levels must be expected to remain high in this difficult, formative period,
>it will serve us well to remember the magnitude of the task that has been
>undertaken and to temper our dialog so that comment remains constructive,
>not destructive.

Jefsey Morfin put discussions and disagreement in the larger perspective
of a community of networks where we all are learning how to develop the
@large:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00124.html

Erick Iriarte Ahon posted a message in spanish, with infos and links to
his and Gabriel Pineiro's work to translate documentation from ERC and
Reform process in spanish (you may want to see the entire thread):
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00119.html
Jefsey Morfin sended two messages in french with the same intent to
reach the french speaking people (francophones) on this list:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00134.html
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00244.html

Joop Teernstra informed that, according a majority decision of the
Panel, all Panel members now have access to the full list of member
addresses.

Judyth Mermelstein proposed a straw poll to resolve whether the Panel is
authorized to transfer webmastering authority to the Web Working Group
as a whole. The poll itself, reposted from Joey Borda for the sake of
clarity, had few answers but triggered some interesting opinions about
the coordination in website management and on the list:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00138.html
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00163.html
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00166.html

Judyth contributed also with a vision not bounded to ICANN:
>The cavalier attitude towards civil society is not in itself newsworthy since it's the usual tactic these days to prevent participation on grounds of administrative efficiency. Personally, I think that somewhere in our plans should be a mission to support the inclusion of NGOs and individuals in meaningful ways in all international bodies, not just ICANN.
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00128.html
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00216.html
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00235.html

Danny Younger opened a short thread on ISOC posting some excerpts from
the ISOC members newsletter describing their user activities at the
local chapter level:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00186.html

The panelist Satyajit Gupta having endorsed the ERC Chair A. Pisanty for
an ICANN Board seat, Danny Younger, James Kahn, YJ Park (herself
panelist and candidate) asked him why. Satyajit's answers and others
opinions in the threads:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00200.html
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00214.html
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00224.html
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00231.html

Vittorio Bertola sended a copy of his comment to the ERC about a
specific point - how the NomCom will take its decisions:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00254.html

Danny Younger forwarded an article with the anticipation that there will
be an extension to agreements between US government and ICANN. Some
comments in the thread:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00256.html
He also complained again, with some consent, about the state of this
organization:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00266.html
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00284.html

Vivek Durai forwarded a link to his proposal for webmaster rules:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00304.html

Jefsey Morfin proposed a motion to be approved by the Panel on behalf of
the whole membership, to thank Joop Teernstra for the work he has
accomplished as webmaster:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0209/msg00285.html

There was, as usual, other comments and suggestions.

On Sunday, September 15, the vote ballots to choose organization name
were sended to members.
The timeline is Sunday, September 22, 2002, at 05:00 PM UTC.

--

Next summary at the end of this month.